Skip to main content

Christmas Eve

My family has always enjoyed getting together for Christmas, and there are definitely some traditions that we follow when it comes to both Christmas Eve and Christmas.  But since I was going to be on my own for Christmas this year, I decided it would be fun to start my own Christmas traditions.  And I decided to approach it by having the attitude of just because I wasn't going to be with my family, didn't mean it needed to be a drag or that I needed to be lonely.

Tracie's Christmas Eve
To me, Christmas Eve kind of fulfills two purposes.  I use it to finish up whatever gifts and food I've been planning, but it's also the day where I want to focus on the Spiritual side of Christmas - the nativity story, and peace on earth and goodwill to men.  

Christmas Carol Service - Each year, the Cathedral of the Madeleine presents what they call a "Christmas Carol Service", and this year, I attended that with a couple of friends.  It was a very sacred experience. The Madeleine Choir is world-class, and sang beautifully.  Scriptures were also read, and prayers were said.  The congregation also was invited to participate and stand to join in singing some of the hymns.  And let me just say that singing in that beautiful space, with the organ and the acoustics - it took my breath away.




Christmas Eve Dinner - Last week I had read that many Mexican-Americans have a tradition of eating tamales on Christmas Eve.  I thought that sounded kind of fun, so I went down to the store and bought a bag.  It was a cold and snowy day, and after getting home from the Carol Service, it was fun to set myself up with some warm tamales topped with cheese and salsa, and some stir-fried veggies.




The Nativity Story - I love the recent version of "The Nativity Story" that came out in theaters a few years ago.  So I always try and watch it during the Christmas season.  This year, it seemed appropriate to watch it on Christmas Eve, so I popped that in and watched it while I ate my dinner.




Gifts - After the movie ended, I decided I would open one gift - so I opened the gift from my Secret Santa at work.  Inside was a 2013 Dodgers desk calendar.  Seriously, could there have been a more perfect gift for me?




Reading the Christmas Story - One thing my family always did was to gather around and sing Christmas songs and read the Christmas story out of the Bible.  When we were kids we even had a book that we used for the production of an annual Christmas pageant.  So I sat on the couch and read the Christmas pageant book, sang some hymns, and read the story out of the Bible.



All in all, I felt that it was a lovely Christmas Eve.  I felt filled with the Spirit, and enjoyed myself very much. I plan to continue with it whenever Christmas finds me here at home in Salt Lake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...