Skip to main content

Container Garden 2012

It's that time of year again, so I got up early this morning to meet my friends Charlee and Rosann at the Wasatch Community Gardens plant sale.  This is getting to be an annual event for us.  They always have a large variety of heirloom tomatoes and other vegetables, with a bit of farmer's market and street fair all thrown in.  We were lucky we arrived early, as it was a madhouse as compared to last year.  

Having a little less space than I did at my last apartment, I figured I had better go easy and not get too many plants.  But I came away with some that I think I will enjoy, and will hopefully grow well on my balcony.  I got two types of cherry tomatoes - one called Snow White, that will produce yellow and white tomatoes, and one called Black Cherry. I also got a few bell peppers - a variety of yellow, red, and one called chocolate (we'll see about that one).  And I picked out a nice cucumber plant, so we'll see how it does.  Finally I grabbed a container of basil plants, and I'm envisioning (hopefully) endless pesto this summer.

After leaving the plant sale, I made a quick trip to WalMart to get some soil, then came home.  Since it was such a beautiful day, and since Mother's Day is tomorrow, and we're not supposed to be getting more snow anytime soon, I decided it was safe to get started on my planting.  I hauled the soil and last year's pots up from the garage, and hydrated my block of coconut husks (note to self - buy a MUCH smaller block next time), mixed the coconut with the soil in the pots, put in my plants and watered them.  I also transplanted my geranium into a larger pot.  A couple of hours later, my garden was in, and I was exhausted.

I still have the chives and one of the strawberry plants from last year (sadly the other strawberry plant seems to have died). The chives are flowering - lovely purple flowers, and I already have a couple of little green strawberry nubs.  Hopefully I'll be harvesting some strawberries by next weekend.





Comments

Yay! Mark got our garden in yesterday, too. Can't wait to see everything when we get there! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...