Skip to main content

Another Avian Update

It's hard to imagine, but it seems my bird woman efforts have possibly been a little to successful.  Because it seems that birds are what you could call "sloppy". Kind of a like a college student's apartment.  They also like to invite their friends, and then fight over the fixins.  Even though it's been fun observing my little guests, it hasn't been so much fun for my geranium plant, which is covered in bird seed.  And it hasn't been so fun sweeping the balcony twice a day. They've also started getting a little daring and coming right up on the balcony.  So I think the bird feeder will be coming down for now, til I can find a better way to manage it.

In the meantime, I checked out the Birds of North America website, to see if I could figure out the different varieties that were visiting.  And as near as I can tell, here's who's been in the neighborhood, with a few photos from the website.

American Tree Sparrow


Black Capped Chickadee


Brewer's Blackbird


 Mourning Dove


Western Scrub Jay


White-Crowned Sparrow

Comments

Kim Anderson said…
Get a Hummingbird feeder, they are not messy. Also, my mom feeds the Blue Jays peanuts. Not as bad as the bird seed, but they may leave some shells. Usually they just take them and hide them various places. That way you still get birds, but not the mess.
Kim Anderson said…
Get a hummingbird feeder. They are not messy. Also, my mom feeds the Blue Jays peanuts. You may get some shells, but mostly they steal them and hide them various places. That way you still get birds without the mess.

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...