Skip to main content

Indexing

So as part of it's Family History program, the Church has a volunteer activity you can do called "Indexing". The basic idea being that you download a batch of microfilmed picture files - of things such as census records, marriage records, military muster rolls, and the like, and then you enter the names on the images in to the Indexing program.  People go online later to view the indexed records, and they don't have to go through the challenge of reading the old handwriting. You've already done it for them.

Anyhoo - I haven't been involved in any Family History work for quite a long time (and frankly, I DO NOT like using the New FamilySearch website).  But I figured I should try to get back involved in it a bit, and Indexing seemed like a way I could do that.  So - the last 3 or 4 weeks in a row, I've been indexing. Since my church schedule starts in the mid-afternoon, I log in on Sunday mornings (I have plenty of time) and index for 30 minutes to an hour. Some weeks it's more fun than others - I have to say that this morning's Military Muster Rolls were a little challenging. But it's a good thing to be doing, and if it helps someone locate an ancestor more easily, then I've done a little good for my week.

BTW - The church is in need of many more Indexers, so feel free to join me. Just go to FamilySearch to download the Indexing program and start today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...