Skip to main content

Next Time Wear Gloves

Note to self: Next time you decide to gut the seeds from some hot peppers, make sure you wear plastic gloves.

A little background - This summer I planted and managed to grow some ancho peppers in my containers.  I thought it would be fun to make some homemade chile relleno this fall.  The peppers took the entire summer to grow, and finally got large enough that I could harvest the last of them before the frost. But I decided I wanted to let them ripen a little bit, so I left them out on the counter for the last couple of weeks. This was my first mistake.

Segue to last night.  Being slightly bored, and knowing that I needed to do something about those ripening peppers, I got the bright idea to gut them so I could put them in the freezer for later.  I figured I'd done this before with jalapenos, and haven't had any issues, so it should work the same for the anchos.  The anchos weren't that large anyway.  It didn't even occur to me that I might want to use some plastic gloves for the job.  Second mistake.

I gut said peppers.  Of course I needed to really use my fingers for the task, so I could get the stray seeds and membranes out without totally mangling the pepper.  My task complete, I put the gutted peppers in the freezer, and wash my hands a couple of times, thinking that would be plenty. Third mistake.

At this point it's time for me to get ready for bed. This entails taking the contacts out of my eyes.  It stings a little bit, but not enough to cause major trauma.  I wash the hands a couple of more times and go to sleep. Silly me. Unbeknownst to me, while I'm dead to the world and dreaming of chile relleno, the pepper juice is sticking to my skin, and aging very nicely - to full potency.

Segue to this morning.  I get my 7 and 1/2 hours, and wake up bleary-eyed and not so bushy-tailed. Giving myself plenty of time for the old eyes to work their way open, I read my scriptures, do my thing in the bathroom, and wash my hands again.  Then...not realizing there is still pepper juice all over my fingers (by this time fully potent)..., and without so much as a "Danger Tracie Edwards!" to alert me to my impending doom...I PUT THE CONTACTS IN.  

And...EYE-CHEE-WA-WA, !@#$%*&^, etc., etc., and so forth.  It's as if I've maced myself.  My eyes feel like they are going to literally explode. Tears are being shed, and I can't keep the eyes open.  I'm staggering around blind and wet and in total misery.  I'm thinking I may need to get myself to urgent care, maybe even call the Fire Department next door.  Maybe I'll need to take a personal day to recover from my pepper-induced blindness. But thankfully - after crying my eyes out for an hour or so, the remaining pepper fumes had snuffed themselves out, and life goes on.

In the annals of everything stupid I have ever done to injure myself, this even outranks the time I gave myself a black eye with the flashlight (see my post from 9/11/09 for that bit of ridiculousness).  And note to self: Next time, wear gloves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in