Skip to main content

Christmas 2014

Christmas morning dawned and Northern Utahans awoke to whiteness. It was our first snow in the valley this year, and it continued to snow off and on throughout the day. I put on some Christmas music and opened my presents (Hooray for my new Ninja blender!), and had a bit of a lazy morning.



After a quick phone call to wish my Gram and other Iowa relatives a Merry Christmas, I drove over to my brother's to see all the gifts and hang out for a few hours. We munched on fresh veggies and chips and dip, while my brother and I watched a movie, Awesome Sister-in-law #1 worked a new puzzle, the kids played with all their new toys and games, and the cat slept off the canned food and catnip Santa left for her.



More phone calls to visit with one of my sisters and her girls, and a quick visit with the Madre, then I headed off to meet Inge at the Broadway Theater to catch a new movie. After the show, we went for a non-traditional Christmas dinner at The House of Dim Sum (to quote the humorist Jean Shepherd, "the Christmas [I was] introduced to Chinese Turkey...", or in my case, Chinese Pad Thai). 




A memorable and merry Christmas Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...