Skip to main content

Not to be outdone - Tracie's Blind Date Story

My friend Inge wrote about one of her blind date stories, and since I didn't want to be outdone, I figured I would join the party. Usually, I break these stories out at parties anyway. By way of a disclaimer, this was several years ago, I am still alive, and I never heard from the guy again.

Here goes...I used to work the 1:30-10PM shift. One afternoon a co-worker asked me if I would be willing to go out on a blind date with a friend of her husband's. The exact scenario was something along the lines of "he's really nice, he's been staying with us, we're sick of him, it's our anniversary, we want to go out, please take him off our hands...", to which I finally relented (mistake #1). I figured she was a church member, he was a returned missionary, and she wouldn't set me up with a creep (mistake #2).

So we make arrangements for him to call me when I get home (mistake #3 - he has my number) and then to meet at my apartment (mistake #4 - he knows where I live). By now it was 10:30 or 11:00PM. He arrives, comes to the door, comes in, and seems ok. We throw around a few ideas for something to do, and finally decide to go to the store and get ingredients for chocolate chip cookies, and rent a movie, then come back and watch the movie. So we go out to his car, which was kind of a clunker, but whatever, and we get in to head to the grocery store.

He starts apologizing for the car, how it's a clunker, but his car's in impound in Nevada (clue #1), so he had to borrow his parent's car. Again, not too worried here. We start driving away when he feels the need to tell me why his car was in impound in Nevada, which turns out to be that he was picked up there for armed robbery. "But it was all a big misunderstanding, but the lawyer I hired didn't think he could get me off, so he convinced me to take a plea...". At this point I am sitting in the car as close to the door as possible. He then turns to me and says "I don't know why I'm telling you this, but I just feel so comfortable around you." (creepy moment #1)

We get to the store safely, get our groceries and our video and go back to my house. Thankfully my roommate was home and hanging out in the next room. We make the cookies, watch the movie, and he goes home. At which point I and my roommate breathe a huge sigh of relief.

So I go to work the next day, and my co-worker asks how the evening went. To which I say, "um do you know what he told me?", and proceed to tell her the armed robbery story. To which she says "Yeah, I can't believe he told you about that." In other words - she knew all along. Then she tells me how much he enjoyed the date, and he even left something at my apartment so it would give him an excuse to come back later (creepy moment #2). At this point I'm furious and just sitting there with my jaw open. Somehow I make it through the day.

The next day I'm sitting at home, and the phone rings. I pick it up, and it's him, and he says "I just wanted to call and tell you what a good time I had the other night...(long pause), and I was wondering if you would do me a favor?" I hesitantly asked what it might be, to which he says "Could you take me to Nevada to get my car out of impound?" (creepy moment #3) At this point, I say no, and get off the phone as quick as I can. I never saw or heard from him again, and have thanked my lucky stars ever since.

I guess there could be several morals to the story: 1) Never agree to a blind date from an LDS co-worker who is trying to pawn off a jail bait mission companion. 2) Beware of men driving their parent's cars when their's is in impound. 3) When they tell you about their arrest record, don't be afraid to jump out of the moving vehicle.

I guess I could have done all that - but then I wouldn't have anything to share at parties anymore. The things we do for good material, especially if the material keeps getting better with each re-telling. Someday I'll tell you the one about the Taco Bell Tap Dancer.

Comments

!nge said…
I shared my blog entry with our bishopric. I told them that their talks on Sunday made me feel so guilty for having such a bad attitude when it comes to dating. I've tried to not expect too much, but I scraped the bottom of the barrell with my blind date. They've replied with comforting words and agreed that they'd stop dating if they had been on my nightmare date.
Anonymous said…
Taco Bell Tap Dancer is my favorite blind date story of yours, but this one makes me laugh every time I hear it. I'm glad you've written it down for posterity :)

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

2018 Year in Review

Whew! The last quarter of 2018 was a whirlwind! But I hung on, and am back for more in 2019. So to catch you up, here's a quick update: I completed the capstone project for my master's degree. It was a major challenge, and I admit I was at times fearful that I wouldn't be able to do it. But do it I did, and I was thrilled to come out of it with a solid grade. I was given some new opportunities at work. I was handed the company's most critical technology project, and tasked with getting it back on track, and delivered on time. While we did miss our deadline by a couple of weeks, the business signed off on the project and it is ready to go live. BA World Chicago. Our team went on a quick trip to a conference in Chicago, where we got some great information from some prominent business analysts. We also had some Giordano's pizza, got to visit the 96th floor of the Hancock Building, and attended the musical "Hamilton". Nephew #2 received hi