Skip to main content

Happy New Year to Me, pt. 2

Despite my downer of a New Year's Eve, I did have a happy New Year's Day yesterday.  For me, the day has always been spent watching the Rose Parade and college football bowl games. In recent years, I also usually work a big jigsaw puzzle.  So, in keeping with my tradition, I woke up and tuned in for the Parade.  I'm a sucker for parades, and I discovered that HGTV shows it live and commercial-free (they also have the cute Australian guy from "The Outdoor Room" as the host, and who wouldn't want to watch that?).  After the parade, I tuned into ESPN for several football games, all while at the same time working my latest puzzle.

Since it was the New Year, I thought I'd try actually eating my food, instead of sipping it through a straw.  This ended up working out pretty good, although I still need to take very small bites.  But it was exciting to not have to use my blender yesterday!

By mid-afternoon, I had the TV tuned to the Rose Bowl, and rooted for the BCS-buster TCU against Wisconsin.  TCU did not disappoint.  This is several years in a row now that a school form a non-Automatic Qualifying Conference has beaten an AQ opponent.  If that's not an argument against the BCS, I don't know what is.

Later in the evening, my pal Debbie called to check in, and then Inge, Angel, Janeen, and Julie all came over for a visit, for which I was most grateful.  After the low profile, it was great to be with friends. They even stayed for an hour, which considering my not being able to brush my teeth, just shows what true friends they are.  Happy New year to Me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...