Skip to main content

Getting Healthy

Had to go in for another Doctor appointment the other day, and while visiting with her, she made the comment that I had lost 10 pounds since the last time she saw me. Say hallelujah!  I have been working hard at it, and I've noticed results myself, but it was extra nice to have my doctor to validate it for me.

Back in January, as I was considering what goals to set for this year, I decided on a couple of health goals, which were to start eating my vegetables (and no, V8 doesn't count), and to start strength training.  That was basically it.  So I began buying actual produce, and I even bought some resistance bands to help with the strength training.  And a funny thing happened on the way to implementing those goals.  Because I actually started to eat better, work out more, and get healthier, one of the very pleasant side effects of all this is the aforementioned weight loss, which not only has my clothing fitting better, but my skin is clearer, and I'm even wearing my rings again. Say double hallelujah!

This is not to say that it's been totally easy.  My body of a certain age is kind of screaming at me - seems my knees don't always appreciate the extra workouts, and there's been times I could kill for some ice cream, or just a big old bowl of greasy popcorn.  But for the most part, it's been going very well.  I haven't even felt the craving for sweets and other bad for me foods.  So far so good.

 

Comments

Congrats Tracie. So proud of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...