Skip to main content

Christmas Eve

My family has always enjoyed getting together for Christmas, and there are definitely some traditions that we follow when it comes to both Christmas Eve and Christmas.  But since I was going to be on my own for Christmas this year, I decided it would be fun to start my own Christmas traditions.  And I decided to approach it by having the attitude of just because I wasn't going to be with my family, didn't mean it needed to be a drag or that I needed to be lonely.

Tracie's Christmas Eve
To me, Christmas Eve kind of fulfills two purposes.  I use it to finish up whatever gifts and food I've been planning, but it's also the day where I want to focus on the Spiritual side of Christmas - the nativity story, and peace on earth and goodwill to men.  

Christmas Carol Service - Each year, the Cathedral of the Madeleine presents what they call a "Christmas Carol Service", and this year, I attended that with a couple of friends.  It was a very sacred experience. The Madeleine Choir is world-class, and sang beautifully.  Scriptures were also read, and prayers were said.  The congregation also was invited to participate and stand to join in singing some of the hymns.  And let me just say that singing in that beautiful space, with the organ and the acoustics - it took my breath away.




Christmas Eve Dinner - Last week I had read that many Mexican-Americans have a tradition of eating tamales on Christmas Eve.  I thought that sounded kind of fun, so I went down to the store and bought a bag.  It was a cold and snowy day, and after getting home from the Carol Service, it was fun to set myself up with some warm tamales topped with cheese and salsa, and some stir-fried veggies.




The Nativity Story - I love the recent version of "The Nativity Story" that came out in theaters a few years ago.  So I always try and watch it during the Christmas season.  This year, it seemed appropriate to watch it on Christmas Eve, so I popped that in and watched it while I ate my dinner.




Gifts - After the movie ended, I decided I would open one gift - so I opened the gift from my Secret Santa at work.  Inside was a 2013 Dodgers desk calendar.  Seriously, could there have been a more perfect gift for me?




Reading the Christmas Story - One thing my family always did was to gather around and sing Christmas songs and read the Christmas story out of the Bible.  When we were kids we even had a book that we used for the production of an annual Christmas pageant.  So I sat on the couch and read the Christmas pageant book, sang some hymns, and read the story out of the Bible.



All in all, I felt that it was a lovely Christmas Eve.  I felt filled with the Spirit, and enjoyed myself very much. I plan to continue with it whenever Christmas finds me here at home in Salt Lake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in