Skip to main content

Holiday Happenings

It's been a good but busy week - lots of Holiday fun stuff to celebrate the season.

Tuesday - GNO with Roosevelt friends: Got together here at the Holladay Inn with some of my good friends from my old Young Adult ward. GNO stands for Girls Night Out, a chance for the girls to spend time together eating, visiting and catching up.

Thursday Afternoon - Annual Holiday Lunch and activity with my work team.  Lunch at Olive Bistro, followed by Shopping and delivery of needed items for a worthy cause.  A special experience, and it felt good to provide some service.

Thursday Night - Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and my dear friend Stephanie. Mack's Angels kept to our Holiday tradition of enjoying the lights at Temple Square and attending the Christmas Concert with the choir, and this year's special guests Alfie Bowe, Tom Brokaw, and surprise special guest, Gale Halvorsen (Uncle Wiggly Wings, the original Berlin Airlift Candy Bomber). Totally awesome!




Saturday - Brunch and Gift Exchange with some of the girlfriends, followed by a viewing of the new movie "Hitchcock" (see Tracie's Movie Blog for my review) at the Broadway Cinema.






Also Saturday - I joined a couple of girlfriends from my current Single's Ward for A performance of Handel's Messiah by the Oratorio Society of Utah, at the Cottonwood Presbyterian Church. I wish I'd thought to take a picture of their Sanctuary - it was a beautiful setting, and the music was so comforting after some of the events of this past week.  I think of all the times I've heard The Messiah, this was my favorite.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...