Skip to main content

Application for Commissioner of Major League Baseball

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announced today his intention to retire at the end of next season.  Which means, that there's going to be a job opening, and I'm thinking of applying.  I mean, can you think of anyone else more qualified? Of all the people you know, is there a more die-hard baseball fan?  So I thought I'd submit an open letter to MLB, listing my qualifications, and my platform:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a lifelong baseball fan and former player. I know my balls from my strikes, and I can argue a close call with the best of them - respectfully of course. I've attended a couple of major league baseball games in my time, I think Dodger Stadium is the only real place to have a hot dog, and I can get down with a bag of peanuts.

As my first act as Commissioner, I intend to ban Darth A-Rod for life.  Any player found to be taking PED's will receive a half-year suspension for a first offense, a full-year suspension for a second offense, and for a third offense would be banned for life, or least be forced to live and play winter ball in The Dominican Republic for the rest of his life.

(Speaking of The Dominican Republic, I will make it so that all International players must use their real name and age.)

I will re-implement the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, and this time they get to wear pants.

I will make all teams pay for their own new stadiums, with no support from taxpayer dollars.  

I will ban any contract over 5 years if the player is over age 30 (no more $200 million contracts for Albert Pujols).

I would implement replay challenge on all close calls at the plate, and in the case of home runs. I would invite Sweet Lou to argue all close calls on behalf of the fans, as long as he promises to throw down his hat, or kick dirt in the umpire's face.

I will allow Shoeless Joe Jackson in the Hall of Fame. And I will have the final vote on all Hall of Fame ballots (Gil Hodges and Dale Murphy both make it in, The Rocket does not). 

I will ban all chewing tobacco. Any player found to be chewing will be forced to clean up his own spit.

I will insist on financial parity - large market teams will have to go sharesies on revenue with small market teams, and I will not allow the Yankees to drive up the value of over-the-hill players. 

I will shorten the schedule back to 154 games so that people don't have to decide between watching the World Series, or taking their kid trick-or-treating.

I will implement "$5 Fridays" for box seats at all games - so that the average fan could afford to attend a game at least once in their lifetime - and drive up the cost of nosebleed seats so that only the extremely wealthy can afford to sit in them.  

I will proudly partner with Pepsico for all of our soft drinks, and charge only $1 for Diet Pepsi.

I will insist that everyone take off their hat when the national anthem is sung. 

I will lead a chorus of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" at least once at every stadium every year.

Finally, the Dodgers will have an automatic qualifying spot in the National League Playoffs every year.

As you can see, I have quite an agenda, and I hope you will consider me for the position.

Respectfully,

Tracie

Comments

I would totally hire you! I could get on board with pretty much everything except for the Dodgers automatically qualifying for playoffs. I think I would also add that the salaries will be brought back to the time when you played because you loved the game and NOT for the money....when the teams found you day jobs so you could play at night! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...