Skip to main content

Pioneer Weekend 2014

July 24th is Pioneer Day here in Utah, and it's a State Holiday. It commemorates the day the Mormon Pioneers first arrived in the Salt Lake valley. I always take off work, as I just don't like the idea of having to work when other people I know aren't. And since Pioneer Day fell on a Thursday this year, I thought, I don't really want to go back to work on a Friday, so I made it 4-day weekend instead. It was a fun-filled weekend, with lots of physical activity, and I am pretty whipped. 

Thursday
Spent the morning at the Days of '47 with my pal Diana. Seems that over the years we've watched the parade together more often than not. This year, we walked to the parade route, and found a pleasant spot right under a tree, where we set up our chairs, ate our snacks, and enjoyed the parade. LDS President Monson was the Grand Marshall, which was quite a treat to see. And I have my favorite entries that are there every year, like the Liahona Alumni Band, Mama's Faith Temple Gospel Choir, floats for the different universities, and of course the marching bands. Being the marching band geek that I was and still am, it's always a thrill to see a band.

After the parade, I hurried home to meet up with awesome sister-in-law #1 and the kids, so we could go to Red Butte Garden. It was a free day at the garden, and there were a ton of people there. We had fun roaming around. The kids especially loved the Children's Garden. My niece was so excited to see little fairy gardens dedicated to some of her favorite fairy tale princesses. And my nephew loved the fountain he could get soaked in. They also loved the pond with all the goldfish and ducks. I for one had a hard time leaving the edible herb garden. It was a super hot day, so by the time we left we were plenty tired and sweaty. But it was a good time.

Friday
Friday morning I met up with my pals Debbie and Bridget for a hike to one of my favorite spots, Brighton Lakes. I hadn't been there in years. You start from the parking lot at Brighton, and hike up above the resort, where there is a series of 3 lakes, Lake Mary, Lake Martha, and Lake Katherine. It's very scenic, the sky is usually a beautiful blue, there are breathtaking views, and you might see the occasional moose. 

(The three of us at Lake Mary)


(Tracie - overlooking Lake Martha)

It's a 4-mile roundtrip, so it took us a couple of hours to get to our final destination at Lake Katherine. We stopped there for a snack before heading back down. A beautiful day and a fantastic hike.

Later that afternoon, I met up with Inge to take her to see the costume exhibit at the BYU Art Museum. She loved it and it was totally fun to see it all again. And we both got a little verklemfpt looking at the costumes once worn by Julie Christie and Maggie Smith.  While we were there, we also walked through another exhibit of quilts from Pakistan and India that were just exquisite.

After leaving the museum, we stopped at the BYU Creamery for a little treat. Being as this is BYU, there were a ton of young clueless parents with a quiver-full of children (they take the command to multiple and replenish the earth very literally there). There was so much noise, and disorganization, the aforementioned all cutting in line, that I confess to a bit of irritation (or as Inge called, "line rage"). Really, I love kids, and I can even be nice on occasion. But apparently you should NOT mess with me when I'm trying to get my ice cream. Thankfully after a double scoop of really raspberry and coconut joy I was in a better temper.



Saturday
Saturday afternoon, the family and I had tickets to tour Timpanogos Cave. I'd been there many years before, and I knew from past experience that it's a tough hike up to get to the cave. But man, I apparently had forgotten just how tough. Our hike began at 3:30 from the Visitor Center. Although paved, it's a very steep trail, and all switchbacks. My brother and nephew did very well, and got up there lickety split. I on the other hand, had a heck of a time. Despite my preparations, the heat and the altitude got to me, and I really struggled. But my sister-in-law and my niece hung back with me and kept me company, and I ended up getting to the top with about 20 minutes to spare. This left me with plenty of time to have a snack of peanut m&m's, and that perked me up pretty good.




At 5:00, our cave tour began. Only 16 people are allowed in the cave at any time, so it was a small group. We were guided by a park ranger, and had a great hour-long trip through the caves. The cave stays at a constant temperature of 45 degrees, so we needed jackets. But it was absolutely beautiful inside, and awe-inspiring. My niece and nephew totally loved it.

After the cave tour, we came back out to the trail and headed back down. Total time on the trail and in the cave was 3 1/2 hours. Once we made it back to the car, we went and had dinner at a fun burger joint called JCW's. All the burgers, fries, and milkshakes we could eat, and a tasty treat after such an exhausting trip.



It's now Sunday, and although we LDS believe in keeping the Sabbath Day holy, it's not quite what you'd call a day of rest. I'm thinking I need 2 more days off just to recover from the last few.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

2018 Year in Review

Whew! The last quarter of 2018 was a whirlwind! But I hung on, and am back for more in 2019. So to catch you up, here's a quick update: I completed the capstone project for my master's degree. It was a major challenge, and I admit I was at times fearful that I wouldn't be able to do it. But do it I did, and I was thrilled to come out of it with a solid grade. I was given some new opportunities at work. I was handed the company's most critical technology project, and tasked with getting it back on track, and delivered on time. While we did miss our deadline by a couple of weeks, the business signed off on the project and it is ready to go live. BA World Chicago. Our team went on a quick trip to a conference in Chicago, where we got some great information from some prominent business analysts. We also had some Giordano's pizza, got to visit the 96th floor of the Hancock Building, and attended the musical "Hamilton". Nephew #2 received hi