Skip to main content

Car Drama

And - we're back. So I've been gone a few weeks, traveling some, trying to keep up with work, and dealing with car drama. The day before I left for a trip to Atlanta, I got a be in my bonnet to go get the Monty's oil changed. It had been maybe six months, and it was time. I took it down to the local Burt Brothers that I've been going to for several years, walked in and requested said oil change. To which the friendly staffer asked if I wanted them to rotate the tires while they were at it. It would all only take an hour and the tire rotation would be free. So of course I said sure. And in the words of Julia Roberts, let's just that it  was a "...big mistake. Huge!" Because right after that, it all went to H-E-double in the proverbial handbasket.

After an hour, one of the guys comes back to me and says that in trying to take the wheels off, some of the studs broke off on two of the wheels. This was going to cost me $75 per wheel for the labor, which they refused to man up and say it was their fault, and I would have to pay for. And the parts would have to be ordered because nobody has parts laying around for a 2001 Montero Sport. Knowing I had plans, plus was leaving town the next morning, I agreed to do one wheel that day, and do the other wheel later. After 3 hours I left there in the Monty, totally irritated, and as I was driving off, noticed that the Anti-Lock brake light was on. And - it has been on ever since.

A week later, I go back to Burt Brothers, tell them to fix the other wheel, and by the way, turn off the ABS light. After having the car for an entire day, I finally got the car back. But with the ABS light still on. They supposedly tried various things to get it to turn off, but had no idea what was causing it. They could order a part in for me for $300, but weren't sure that would fix it. And weren't about to pay for it themselves.

Devastated and not knowing what to do, I took it in to Les Schwab a few days later. They right away diagnosed a busted ABS cable, but it would take 3 days to get the part in from the dealer, and it would be $400. A few days later, the part comes in, it gets installed, and the light is still on. In fact, they discover that 2 other ABS cables were also busted. So once again, 3 days later I go in to get the 2 other cables installed, and I'm now out $1,300 at Les Schwab, and $150 at Burt Brothers. And the light is still on. Not only that, but some other lights that should be on, aren't.

I'm so disturbed, disgusted, and ready to throw in the towel on my beloved Monty. I've worked from home for two weeks and barely gone anywhere, because one just doesn't drive around much when a brake light is on, or when you're not sure if your other lights will even work. It's unnerving. Les Schwab's working theory now is that because of the battery issues from earlier this summer, that some of the fuses have gone bad. They're going to try replacing said fuses, but those again had to be special-ordered and won't be in until tomorrow. Who knows how much that will all cost. And of course I have hardly any savings left, so this has all gone on the credit card.

I am so ready for Calgon to take me away, I can't even tell you.

Oh - and Burt Brothers finally called back - they got in that $300 part I never told them to order and are ready to take care of me now (I'm pretty sure this isn't out of their generous nature, but because I went crazy on them on social media). I told them to kiss my grits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in