Skip to main content

Home to the Herm

The next morning, Valentine's Day, I took off for several days at home in Hermiston. I really needed a break in-between jobs, and it had been over a year since I'd last seen everyone up there. I was missing the nieces and nephews like crazy. So off I went to the airport, hopped on a plane, and headed home. Mom and Awesome Sister-in-law #2 and the kids came and picked me up at the Pasco airport. They took me home and I got to see Mom and Dad's new house, and got to play with the kids at the park. It was a beautiful day, and it was great to be there.  Later that evening, the Brother treated us all to dinner at a Thai joint. 

Sunday, we went to church, then cooked up a feast to take over to the Brother's house for family dinner and birthday party. His two oldest had both celebrated birthdays recently, and this was the first chance for everyone to get together. My sister's family also came over from the Tri-Cities for the occasion. What a great time!



The next day, the folks and I drove down to LaGrande, Oregon, to see my other sister and her family. It was my first chance to see her new house and all the work they've done there, and to spend time with her girls. My sister cooked us a fabulous lunch, then we went off to the gun range and did some target-shooting. Later I took the girls all out to Dairy Queen. It was an awesome day!


Tuesday we were supposed to attend the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet, where my oldest nephew was to receive several awards. Alas, it was cancelled. But with a little help from my folks, I invited my brother's family over to our own Family Blue and Gold banquet. I made a sign for the front door, and Mom helped me hang blue and gold streamers. I wish I had taken a picture, as it looked pretty cute. And the look on my nephew's face when he saw it was priceless. I cooked up some Papa Murphy's pizza and some breadsticks, and the kids watched "Mr. Peabody and Sherman".

Wednesday we got to watch my youngest nephew for a couple of hours. He dressed himself that morning, and as you can see, he has quite the fashion sense. We took him to a park where he climbed all over things, and I got to try and keep up with him. On the way home, Dad took us to get ice cream cones at McDonald's. The nephew decided he didn't want to finish the ice cream - all he wanted was the cone. So doing what Aunts do, I helped him out and got the best part of two ice cream cones. It was a tough job.


Later that evening, we went over to my sister's house in Tri-Cities, where she and her family hosted a fabulous taco bar dinner for us, and I got to visit with her girls one last time.

Thursday I spent with the folks. We did some things around the house, went for a walk at the park, and Dad gave me a blessing to help me start off the new job. Awesome Sister-in-law #2 and the kids came by for one final goodbye, and then it was off to the airport to head back to the Holladay Inn.

It was a fun and relaxing week. A perfect de-stresser before the job starts on Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in