Skip to main content

Sprint Celebration

So at SelectHealth, we work on a project schedule that we call a "Sprint". The idea is that you do a small project, start to finish, every 3 weeks. And at the end of each sprint, we take the opportunity to celebrate. 

I was in charge of our latest celebration, which took place on Friday. Prior to the event, the team decided that we wanted to have a taco bar and watch a movie together. So we put together a potluck with all the fixings, and it was quite a spread. One of the ladies made shredded chicken, and I made some Spanish rice, then the guys all provided the tortillas, chips, salsa, cheese, etc. One of the guys even brought in some churros for dessert. It was quite a spread.

For our movie we ended up watching "Guardians of the Galaxy", which was really fun and had a terrific soundtrack of pop music from the 70's and 80's. 


As a female who's worked in technology for many years now, I've gotten used to working mostly with men, and to the idea of watching and talking about movies that either have super heroes, spaceships, or some combination of the two. It really should be part of the job description, and I like to think that I excel at it. 

I'd say that our Sprint Celebration was successful. It was a great afternoon, and a nice break from the normal routine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...