Skip to main content

What Mormon Women Want

There's been a lot of talk recently about "what Mormon women want". The Salt Lake Tribune even hosted a live chat session about it. As if all Mormon women are disaffected and dissatisfied, and as if all Mormon men are misogynists. I for one don't really get what all the fuss is about. Women wanting the priesthood, women thinking that we're treated as second class citizens, women complaining about how put upon and miserable they are, and how they want this or that. Frankly, these conversations bore me. 

Sure - some things are lousy. But the thing about "wanting", is that it doesn't necessarily correspond to "need", or "essential". We all want things, but maybe we should ask ourselves the following questions first:

Why do you want it? What will it cost you to get it? How will it make your life better? Will it make you a better follower of Christ?

If you can honestly answer that it's a necessity, and that the benefit outweighs the costs, then by all means, go bang your drum. But if you can't, then I invite you to look at it differently, and perhaps think about what it is you really do want. 

In no particular order, here are some things this Mormon woman wants:

I want to serve
I want to bear testimony
I want to relive burdens
I want to be in the Temple
I want to learn
I want to be forgiven
I want to be clean
I want to be courageous
I want to be of good cheer
I want to love and be loved
I want to matter
I want to teach
I want to believe
I want a change of heart
I want to have charity
I want to feel close to God
I want to feel the Holy Ghost
I want to be faithful
I want to be converted
I want to be true
I want to follow the Prophet(s)
I want to be like Jesus

When I look at things this way, the other things, the things that are petty, or minor annoyances, or even things that really are difficult, just don't seem to matter as much. There's plenty of room for my own improvement.

#whatthismormonwomanwants  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in