Skip to main content

IIBA

For several years now I've participate with the Salt Lake Chapter of an organization known as the IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysis), and have even been fortunate to serve on it's board for a large portion of that time. And I really can't express adequately what a blessing it's been in my life.

When I was first starting down this career path, I was a bit of a lone wolf. I was the only one at my previous company that had an interest in growing my career as a Business Analyst, and it was often a lonely road to try and find career validation there. But through a bit of miraculous intervention (a friend in my Mid-Singles Ward was colleagues with some folks who were connected with the chapter), I found the IIBA. Not only did I find the IIBA, but I found friends (my BBAFF's - Best Business Analysis Friends Forever), mentoring, and a professional community. I was able to get a certification in my career path, and eventually I found my way to my current job.

For the last year or so, I took a bit of a break from the IIBA, thinking I should focus my energies on my new job. But I recently have found my way back, and am again serving on the Board.

Last evening we had a terrific event, where we were fortunate to receive a visit from representatives from the International office in Toronto, Canada. I came away feeling very energized, and grateful for the opportunities I've been given because of this organization. 

Here's a photo we took of some of the current board members and the Toronto folks at the event.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...