Skip to main content

Generating Lift

Last weekend, I was asked to speak at a funeral. A man in my ward had passed away unexpectedly, and I used to visit teach his wife. I never met the man - he had been pretty much home-bound for the last couple of years. When I did visit his wife, he never came out to the living room, and I never went into their back bedroom. So needless to say, the invitation to speak was unexpected. The motivation for the invitation seems to have been from a talk that I gave back around the first of the year. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the talk was recorded, and given to him. I guess it provided some sort of comfort to him in his situation, and he would listen to it regularly.

Admittedly, that information, and the invitation to speak, sort of "weirded me out", and I felt intense pressure. I'm not a General Authority, so that anyone should really set me up as someone to listen to gave me pause for concern. I was also worried that being my imperfect self, there would come a time that I would not be able to live up to their expectations of me.

This brings me to the topic I chose to speak on, which was on focusing on the Savior's atonement to lift us and bring us joy. As it says in the movie "The Prodigal Son", we're all helpless without the aid of Jesus Christ. That means that I am just as helpless as this brother was. And only the Savior can provide us with sufficient lift to help us make it through this life and into the next. This is confirmed in one of my favorite scriptures, Moroni 9:25:

"My son, be faithful in Christ; and may not the things which I have written grieve thee, to weigh thee down unto death; but may Christ lift thee up, and may his sufferings and death, and the showing his body unto our fathers, and his mercy and long-suffering, and the hope of his glory and of eternal life, rest in your mind forever."

I've been pondering this last couple of months about how to generate that lift. A young missionary from my ward used a phrase in his farewell talk, "lean into the Atonement". And that brought to my mind an experience I had several years ago, when some friends and I went indoor skydiving. The idea of indoor skydiving is that you enter a wind tunnel, and the wind should be blowing hard enough that you'll fly as if you were skydiving. In order to successfully fly, you have to do two things. First, you have to lean into the wind tunnel. And second, once you lean in, and are lifted up, you need to use all your muscles, particularly in your legs and core, to keep yourself perfectly positioned in the air, so you don't sink. So, giving this analogy a spiritual application, you have to lean into the Atonement to provide lift, and then you have to consistently work to maintain the lift - through the basic things like regular prayer, scripture study, keeping priesthood covenants, and service (and speaking at funerals). 

To me, lift is really the same thing as joy. As President Russell M. Nelson taught: 

"...the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives. ... 

"When the focus of our lives is on God’s plan of salvation, ...and Jesus Christ and His gospel, we can feel joy regardless of what is happening—or not happening—in our lives. Joy comes from and because of Him." 

So - that all said - lean in, focus on the atonement, and do the little things. You'll be lifted up, feel joy, and be glad you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

2018 Year in Review

Whew! The last quarter of 2018 was a whirlwind! But I hung on, and am back for more in 2019. So to catch you up, here's a quick update: I completed the capstone project for my master's degree. It was a major challenge, and I admit I was at times fearful that I wouldn't be able to do it. But do it I did, and I was thrilled to come out of it with a solid grade. I was given some new opportunities at work. I was handed the company's most critical technology project, and tasked with getting it back on track, and delivered on time. While we did miss our deadline by a couple of weeks, the business signed off on the project and it is ready to go live. BA World Chicago. Our team went on a quick trip to a conference in Chicago, where we got some great information from some prominent business analysts. We also had some Giordano's pizza, got to visit the 96th floor of the Hancock Building, and attended the musical "Hamilton". Nephew #2 received hi