Skip to main content

Red Lights and Spiritual Protection

The Netherlands is a very tolerant country, and for the most part, this has served them well for hundreds of years. But because of this attitude, most everything is now considered legal. Things that would be considered vices here in the States are no big deal over there - prostitution and marijuana are prime examples. It was also the first country to allow same-sex marriage, and gender-neutral restrooms are widely available. Another thing that Amsterdam is very well-known for is having a "Red Light" district. And many people come to The Netherlands to participate in all these things outside their home countries.

As a covenant-keeping member of the LDS church, I was determined to stay away from those things, and in particular, stay away from the Red Light district. And we were able to do that, until our last evening, when we wandered in there by accident. Amsterdam is well-known for its many churches, and we had gone to visit some of the more famous ones, the Old Church (Oude Kerk) and the New Church (Nieuwe Kerk), both of which are the oldest churches in the city, having been built in the 1300's and 1400's respectively. That sounded plenty interesting to us, so we went to take a look. Boy, was that a mistake. As we walked around the old church, we discovered some red neon lights on top of the shops surrounding the church, and some things going on in the windows that I found to be disturbing and sad. A place which should have been sacred and reverent was anything but, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. 

As this was happening, a thought from President Gordon B. Hinckley came to my mind. In the late 1990's and early 2000's, the LDS Church was heavily involved in buying up several of the neighborhoods surrounding the Salt Lake Temple, to convert to either sacred space, or residential and retail space. In April of 2003, he gave a talk where he spoke about the condition of the church at the time:

"I call attention to that which has received much notice in the local press. This is our decision to purchase the shopping mall property immediately to the south of Temple Square.

We feel we have a compelling responsibility to protect the environment of the Salt Lake Temple. The Church owns most of the ground on which this mall stands. The owners of the buildings have expressed a desire to sell. The property needs very extensive and expensive renovation. We have felt it imperative to do something to revitalize this area. But I wish to give the entire Church the assurance that tithing funds have not and will not be used to acquire this property. Nor will they be used in developing it for commercial purposes.

Funds for this have come and will come from those commercial entities owned by the Church. These resources, together with the earnings of invested reserve funds, will accommodate this program..."

I was reminded of this while standing there in the Red Light district, that we need to both stand in Holy Places, but also protect sacred spaces. Imagine trying to attend church services every week there at the Oude Kerk in Amsterdam, and now contrast that with the environment around the Salt Lake temple. Tolerance is a good thing, but when taken too far, we lose the protection that comes from the sacred, and we put our spiritual lives in jeopardy. It made me sad for Amsterdam, but grateful for a prophet of God, and grateful for the Temple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in