Skip to main content

Never Send a BYU Grad to do a U Grad's Job

My visiting teaching was scheduled for yesterday, and I had invited everyone over to my place for dinner. My companion does not drive, so I offered to pick her up from work. She works at the U. Now, being a BYU grad, I am completely unfamiliar with the U. I can manage to make my way to Kingsbury Hall and the stadium, but that's about it. She sent me some maps, but none of them had any street names on them. But I figured all I needed was a little help from my friends at Google. So yesterday, before I left work, I looked up the building address and printed the driving directions. I'm usually pretty good at navigating, so feeling fairly confident, I made my way up to the U.

So much for feeling fairly confident. The directions told me to take Foothill to Wasatch Drive. But apparently Wasatch Drive has been renamed or something, because I couldn't find it. I ended up going down to 17th East, then making my way past 18th East. The directions told me to turn on 19th East. Well, I couldn't find 19th East. So I go into Fort Douglas, which then turns into U of U student housing. Thinking that couldn't be right, I get back onto a main drag and start heading towards the Hospitals, knowing from the map that the building is fairly close to there.

As I'm heading towards the Hospitals, my companion calls, wondering where I am. Now is also probably where I should mention that she is Japanese, and with the accent, I just couldn't tell where she was trying to tell me. So then her co-worker gets on the phone. Nice guy, but I was on the phone with him for 30 minutes or so, while he drove me all over the U, up and down and all around - everywhere except the building I was trying to find. So imagine me driving all over the U of U campus, one-handed, while trying to listen to directions on the phone, trying not to hit bikers or pedestrians, or turn into parking lots that really weren't parking lots. Finally I say I'm at a particular parking lot, and he, exasperated, says to stay there, and she can find me. So I drive in circles around the (very small) parking lot for 10 minutes until she finally found me.

At this point, it is nearly 6:00, which is when people are supposed to be at my house. Hurriedly I called the girls to tell them what was going on. I shouldn't have worried about it, though. One had completely forgotten about it, and the other was running very late anyway. So we made our way back to my house. I had kept my cool pretty good up until that point, but by now I was completely on edge. Thankfully I had already cooked the night before, so all I needed to do was heat things up and lay out the paper products. After that, everything went off pretty good, except that I had over-prepared (big surprise), and have a ton of left overs. By the time they left at 8:00, I was totally spent. And may I never have to go up to the U ever, ever again.

The moral of the story? Never send a BYU grad to do a U grad's job.

Comments

Yikes, that story makes my head hurt. I hate that area and always get super lost, as well. Why can't it just be straightforward and direct?
Tracie said…
I know! I don't know how anyone gets around up there. Hello - in Utah we believe in a grid system! :)
triciab said…
It's perfectly simple once you get the hang of it :-) You should have called me - remember I work there and have been lost many, many times! They changed Wasatch to Mario Capecchi Drive in honor of Mario Capecchi, Nobel Prize Winner.
jamie said…
I agree, I hate driving up there, BUT, my real point of leaving this comment, today of all days, is to say...

GO UTES!!
I worked at Primary Children's Hospital for 3 years and I still can't tell anyone much more than how to get to the hospital. Wretched!!

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in