Skip to main content

The Champagne Lady

When I was a little kid, back in the dark ages of the early 1970’s, there was really only one show that was ever on Saturday nights.  Every week, Saturday night bath all completed, and Styrofoam curlers in my hair (which never really worked because my hair was too thick), the TV would go on, the sound of the champagne cork would pop, and the strains of the Lawrence Welk theme song would begin to play.  It's probably where I first developed a love for the old standards.

This comes to mind today because of the passing of one of the stars of the Lawrence Welk Show, Norma Zimmer, or as Lawrence used to pronounce it, Tzimmer.  Lovingly referred to as “The Champagne Lady”, she was THE  female star of the show.  She typically sang a big solo number, surrounded by champagne bubbles, and did commercials for Rose Milk, which was a lotion popular among grandmothers.

Segue to a few years ago, when I attended the Swiss Days festival in Midway, Utah.  Among the entertainment that year was a woman who used to be on the Lawrence Welk Show.  I forget her name.  But the thrilling thing for me was towards the end of her set, when she introduced an audience member, her very dear friend, Norma Zimmer.  OMG – it was the Champagne Lady herself.  She was pretty elderly by then, but it was her.  And I admit it, I got all verklempft and had to have a moment.  

Several months later, memories of Lawrence Welk and seeing Norma Zimmer all came full circle for me when I was in Iowa for a family reunion.  It was a Saturday night, and the couples had gone out to a movie, while I stayed home along with the Aunts and Grandmas to babysit.  Of course, thanks to the re-runs available on public television, you can probably guess what the Grandmas wanted to watch.  That's right - there we all were in the living room, TV on, when the champagne cork popped and the strains of the Lawrence Welk theme song began to play.  We all sang along, and you know what, the little girls absolutely loved it! 

I'm guessing that Norma Tzimmer and Lawrence Welk had a grand reunion in Heaven today.  And that the champagne (or at least the sparkling cider) is flowing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...