Skip to main content

Container Gardening Class

Last month my pal Sidney and I spent a very pleasant afternoon walking around Red Butte Garden.  It's a Botanical Garden they have up at the U, and is really the only thing affiliated with the U that I like to spend any time at.  They have all sorts of plants, and we happened to catch them on their Bulb Show weekend, where they showed off over 250,000 daffodils.  On our way out, I picked up their community booklet to browse through.  During that browse, I noticed they were offering a Container Gardening Class.  Thinking of my gardening goal, I quickly signed up.

This past Thursday I drove up the hill to the class, which was being held at their Greenhouse.  I have to say, I had an absolutely fabulous time, despite being on U of U property.  The class was taught by one of their Master Gardeners, Michelle, and I shared a work station with two awesome ladies, Elaine and Emily.  First, we went through a bit of a lecture and Q&A session.  Then, they sent us out into the greenhouse to pick our plants.  That's right, plants, meaning more than one.  There were tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cantaloupe, eggplant, artichoke, swiss chard, and even a few flowers to choose from.  Since I already had some tomatoes, I settled on a orange bell and a purple bell pepper, as well as a jalapeno.  Knowing that eggplant and zucchini tend to spread out quite a bit, I had thought I wouldn't be able to do those in containers.  But Michelle assured me that these were varieties meant for containers, so I grabbed one of each.  Then it was back inside to put the plants in the pots.

We were each given a 15 gallon planter, which we were told could handle several plants.  We filled them all the way to the top with a mixture of potting soil and ground coconut husks, then put the plants in.  The final touch was to add some fertilizer known as "ozmicote" (not sure the spelling).  Elaine and Emily and I worked together to fill all three of our pots, and I think we were all pleased with the results.  We even swapped email addresses so that we could email each other with pictures of our vegetable bounty.

After that, it was home to put out the pot and fill it full of water.  Michelle said the thing to do is to make sure you give them enough water that it spills out the bottom of the container.  Thankfully, this task was helped out by the massive rainstorm we had the last three days.  I'm told the plants will also need sun, so I'm hopeful the rain will stop at some point so that the sun can do it's work.

This morning I finally was able to finish my planting of the tomatoes.  They were wilting a bit, but hopefully they will thrive in the well-watered and sunny space outside.  I now have 5 tomato plants, 2 spicy pepper plants, 2 sweet pepper plants, 1 egg plant, 1 zucchini plant, some basil, and chives, as well as the begonia.  And hopefully the weather gods will cooperate and give me a fruitful garden at the end of the summer.


Comments

Hooray! Looks great and I'm so glad you're learning lots of wonderful things. I have my first herb garden this year and I'm looking forward to using it!

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in