Skip to main content

Momentous News

I have momentous news that I finally feel able to share with everyone.  This week, after an insanely short amount of time actually looking for one, I am purchasing a town home.  This decision wasn't even a gleam in my eye until a couple of weeks ago.  But now, here I am, about to sign my life away.

I'm sure you all remember my move about 18 months ago.  And I wasn't thinking of moving again any time soon.  My apartment has been fine for the most part, and a pleasant upgrade from my old place.  However, some things were getting on my nerves - such as a landlord who won't take care of the landscaping, or even really keep the place up.  Another thing has been the freeway noise that I can hear through the vents at night, as well as the terribly thin walls between my and my neighbor's bedroom.  Really, I don't care what he does in his bedroom, I just don't want to hear it.

So a couple of weeks ago while I was pondering my dilemma, it hit on me that this might be the right time to buy.  Rates are really low, and you can get a lot more for the money.  So, I made contact with some mortgage people and asked them to start running some numbers for me.  While that was going on, I made contact with a Realtor that was recommended by my sister-in-law.  We talked over the phone, agreed to meet, and I made it clear that I wasn't afraid to take my time looking to find the right place.

Last Thursday, I met Laura (the Realtor), and we went and looked at a few places.  One I liked pretty good, but it was a little small, so I decided to keep looking.  The next day, she sent me info on a couple of more places, and I chose one to go look at.  We met last Saturday and went through the place.  I was stunned by how big it was, and even though it was older, it was in decent shape, and had most of the things I was looking for.  Laura felt the price was competitive and that it would move pretty quick.  She felt we should make an offer on it.  Reluctantly I agreed, with the stipulation that I could get out of the deal within 10 days.  I mean, I hadn't planned on things happening anywhere near that fast, and wasn't prepared mentally or emotionally for pulling the trigger.

I went home and slept on it overnight (well, I tried to anyway - but I didn't really sleep), then fasted and prayed about it the next day. Gradually I got more comfortable with the idea, and by Monday, I was pretty excited.  Angel went with me and Laura to look at it that night, and although wracked with nerves, I still felt good about it.  Then Tuesday evening I received a counter offer, which I accepted.

Things continue to be a whirlwind and all-consuming.  I've got a rate locked in, and my loan application is in process.  I've handed over my earnest money, and I've signed so many things so far that my hand is practically paralyzed.  And it's a good thing I'm too old to have kids, because I may have signed away my first born child.  But I continue to feel calmly excited (which you would think would be an oxymoron but isn't), and I am busy envisioning projects I want to tackle at some point.  Tomorrow I meet the home inspector (thankfully I've prepared myself by watching all those episodes of "Holmes Inspection"), and if all goes well, and I continue to get my ducks in a row, I should close in two weeks.  Yikes!


Comments

I've already told you this, but we are super duper excited for you! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity and it will be so fun to make it your own! :) Can't wait to see it!

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in