Skip to main content

Lost and Found, part 2

As my regular readers are aware, I have pretty ambivalent feelings about my mission.  I know I was supposed to go, so I did. In that respect I am glad I went.  But it was also hard. I didn't enjoy it, and I felt unsuccessful, so it was an experience never to be repeated. Missions were fine for other folks, but count me out from here on.  As far as I knew, I was a failure as a missionary, and have lived with that feeling ever since.  So until recent events, I never had the desire to see Mississippi again.

While my cousin Angela was here with me, I discovered she was related to a family I had known when I served on the Coast.  She was also friendly with another family from that ward, a family that took very good care of me while I was there, and for a time was very close to them.  Not only was she friendly with them, but they were in the sealing room at the Baton Rouge temple with her when she did some of Aunt Helen's work.  It was very exciting for me to hear about them.  But frankly, I thought it would end there.

This past Sunday, my parents drove down from their area to Gulfport, to attend church with Angela and go to a cousin's wedding.  Miraculously, that family happened to be visiting the Gulfport ward that day. Not only that, but one of my former companions was also visiting - she now lives in the area.  My parents got to meet both of them, and sent me some photos and contact information.  They both spoke to them of their memories of our association, and the good memories they had of me.

I can't even begin to say how much that meant to me.  All these years of living with feelings of failure and guilt over it, and now it seems I made a difference after all, at least to these ladies.  Boy, did I have a good cry over that.  I'm also trying to wrap my head around everything that had to fall in to place for this experience to happen.  I needed to be born into this family, and serve a mission there.  My cousin needed to join the church, my parents needed to be prompted to serve a mission and get called to the same place I had gone. My sister needed to do genealogy.  We needed to make connections with Angela, and she needed to invite the folks down to Gulfport. And two sisters I was once close to needed to decide to attend church in Gulfport on the same day. All this, so that I could finally let go of some of the guilt I felt, and could re-connect with them.  The Lord sure works in mysterious ways.


Comments

Hey Sis - just getting caught up on your blog here. What nice things you wrote. You are right - the Lord works in mysterious ways and He has definitely had a hand in what has been happening with our family. Pretty darn special I think! :) Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in