Skip to main content

High Intensity Circuit Training (Or, How to Turn Tracie into a Cabbage)

I believe I've mentioned that last year, I started a strength training exercise regimen. I bought some resistance bands and hand weights, and I started doing exercises with them every other day. Gradually I also incorporated some core exercises as well. The strength training was very effective, helping me to stay toned, and made a great contribution to my weight loss.

This year, I've noticed that the workouts haven't been quite as effective as they used to be. And frankly, they've been a bit boring for me. I've stuck to the routine, but not with the same results.

I was doing some reading online the other day, and I came upon an article about something called "High Intensity Circuit Training". Also called interval training, it's a series of mostly calisthenic exercises, done in quick succession, in short intense bursts. The idea is that you can get a lot of intense exercise in, in a short amount of time, while getting similar results to longer and slower periods of exercise. Interval training has been around a long time, but is getting more popular.

The article suggested the following series of exercises, done for 30 seconds or so at a time, with breaks in between of 30 seconds or less. You complete the circuit, and then repeat it up to two more times, and it all takes about 7 minutes per circuit.

1. Jumping jacks (Total body)



2. Wall sit (Lower body)




3. Push-up (Upper body)



4. Abdominal crunch (Core)



5. Step-up onto chair (Total body)



6. Squat (Lower body)



7. Triceps dip on chair (Upper body)



8. Plank (Core)



9. High knees/running in place (Total body)



10. Lunge (Lower body)



11. Push-up and rotation (Upper body)



12. Side plank (Core)




So this week, I decided to give it a try.  And let me just say - These exercises are not as easy as you may think.  In fact, they are dang hard. The phrase "KICKED MY TRASH!" comes to mind.  Although I must say that I'm grateful I had gotten in better shape over the last year, or I may not have lived to tell about it.  Forget proper form or technique, forget doing each move for 30 seconds - In most cases, I was only able to make it 20 seconds. After two circuits, I could feel the blood rushing to my head, and my face getting red as a beet.  Picture a red cabbage with brown hair, and that's probably what I looked like.  

But you know what? It did indeed give my routine a boost, and this middle-aged broad a sense of accomplishment, red cabbage or not.  I'm stiff, and I'm sore, but I'm unbowed. And thankfully I have two days to recover until I try it again.

Comments

Good job sis! So proud of you and all of your healthy efforts - you insprie me.... :)

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in