Skip to main content

Curried Pumpkin Soup

It's soup season!  I was reading online today, and noticed an article with a recipe for an easy Pumpkin soup. All it called for was some grated onion, pumpkin, chicken broth and cream.  Of course, since I love all things pumpkin, I was totally intrigued by this.  I had plenty of everything the recipe called for, minus the cream.  That's when my brain started thinking, and I came up with this rather tricked out recipe I'm calling "Curried Pumpkin Soup".  And guess what - it was delicious! 

Here goes:

2 T. dehydrated onion (I was too lazy to grate one myself)
1 large can of pumpkin (29 oz.)
2 cans chicken broth
1 c. Lite Coconut Milk (I buy the canned variety)
1 t. black pepper
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
2 T. yellow curry powder

Pour 2 tablespoons Olive Oil in a large sauce pan, and turn the heat to medium low. Add the dehydrated onion, black pepper, and curry powder.  Cook for a minute or so, until the onion is toasted.  Empty the entire can of pumpkin into the pan and give it a stir, so the spices and onion are incorporated with the pumpkin.  Add the chicken broth and stir together until smooth.  Add the coconut milk, cinnamon and nutmeg, and stir together until smooth. Heat through until very warm (don't let it boil).  Serve in a large mug or soup bowl. Enjoy!

Note that despite the coconut milk, the soup's a bit more on the savory side. So it's not going to taste like pumpkin pie.  But if you want to sweeten it up a bit, I'd suggest adding a bit more cinnamon and nutmeg.  Also - this makes quite a bit, so it should serve a small family, or leave you with plenty of left-overs.

Anyhoo - It's easy, it's healthy, and it's delicious.  Give it a try.  Really, you'll thank me for it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...