Skip to main content

Halloween 2013

Much as I adore Halloween, for some reason my costume always comes together at the last minute. This year was no exception.  First I thought I wanted to be Helen Mirren in "Red 2" - but I couldn't find a white fur coat. Waah.  Then I thought I could be a CHP officer, after all the ones I saw last weekend.  But I couldn't find a patrol helmet. And after several trips to thrift stores, nothing was really working.

I decided to keep after it, and by Wednesday evening, I was at the local party supply store, which also happened to be costume central this year.  I walked around and around the store, perusing and pondering, and my creative juices were at a low.  I decided to just leave the store, and use one of my costumes from former years.

But then - serendipity happened.  As I was walking down the party decoration aisle, I saw all sorts of decorations for Hollywood and Oscar Parties.  Being the old movie buff that I am, this definitely piqued my interest. My eyes fell on a small megaphone and scene clapper (whatever those are called - you all know what I'm talking about). And the light went on over my head.  I grabbed said items, promptly paid for them, then made a quick trip to another thrift store across the street for a couple of missing items.  I rushed home to wash said items, and grabbed a few more things from my existing collection. And - - - voila!  Tracie B. DeMille was born! BRILLIANT!



Out of all my classic costumes (and there have been many), I think this is best of all.  Seriously, there could not be anymore perfect costume for me.  I have no idea how I'll top it next year.

Coincidentally, "Sunset Boulevard" happened to be showing on TV that night. I kid you not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...