Skip to main content

Adventure Gear Expo

After finishing the garden yesterday, I met up with my friend Cyndee and Robin at the Adventure Gear Expo. For some reason I was thinking it would have more to do with hiking and camping and trekking and the like. And while there was indeed some of that, it was probably more slanted towards adventure sports. Snowboarding and skiing, paddle boarding, motorcycles, and rock climbing and such. Not really the types of activities that would normally be on my bucket list. But we did find plenty of fun as we were walking around at all the exhibits - there were plenty of things to try, and I'm happy to say that I tried some.



Courtesy of the Utah Olympic Park, we got to sit in a bob sled. If you go to the Olympic Park, you can take a ride on the bob sled run - for the low introductory price of $75. Something I've yet to do, but totally would. Who cares about my balance disorder?!



Jumping on the energy bar bandwagon was this local company that specializes in energy bars made out of crickets. And in a moment of "what the heck was Tracie thinking?", I tried all three varieties. I have to say that they weren't bad. There was no odd taste or texture. They were pretty much like an EA Sports Bar. And as proof of my having tried them, I got my picture taken with their crazy cricket hat.


I rode this elliptical bike. This one happened to be on an indoor trainer, but they're designed to be ridden on the street. Instead of pedaling traditional style, you "step" like you would on an elliptical trainer. It felt a little funky, but was quite a workout. From just that minute or two that I was on it, today my butt is the sorest it's ever been. Oy vey!!! And for a cool $1,700 for a base model, this beauty could be yours and make you a topic of interest for every person driving by.



We made a stop for a snack at the Waffle Truck. You could get fresh ones of different varieties, but I settled instead on this awesome one covered in dark chocolate and saved it for this morning's breakfast. Delish!!

We also tried riding stationary bikes that showed you the amount of energy and effort required to light a light, and Cyndee tried paddle skateboarding. That actually looked pretty fun. I would totally do that. And we met the guy from Utah County who rode his bike across Antarctica. The rest of our time was spent visiting with different vendors and not purchasing their products, signing up for various door prizes, and listening to a presentation by a company that sells backpacks and uses the profits to pay for charitable activities in Third World countries. And we saw lots of tents and fifth wheels and even saw a Zombie Apocolypse truck that was on Doomsday Preppers. Seriously, there is no ridiculous overpriced contraption or invention that Mormons will not try to sell to each other. Believe me, we saw them all.

Did you know that you could buy your own zip line or slack line to put up in your back yard, or set up between trees on your outdoor trip? I didn't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in