Skip to main content

My Thoughts on the Miracle of Creation

I've been pondering the creation for the last few weeks. This may seem like an odd topic for a blog post, but I guess being in the temple regularly probably does that to you. There's a lot of argument these days about the "Creation", how it happened, what caused it, and pitting people of FAITH against people of SCIENCE. As if there needs to be a competition, and as if it's an either/or proposition. I think a major misconception is that people of faith can't or don't believe in science, and vice versa. In my mind, there is room for both. God is the author of truth, and all truth comes from God and the Savior. They want us to understand and not be threatened by science. As we learn more about science, we learn more about Them. 

So, with that in mind, here's what I believe about the creation. Note that this is not a statement of LDS doctrine, but a statement of my own beliefs.

1. I believe in the Big Bang, and that it caused the Universe to begin, and that the Universe continues to evolve and expand.
2. I believe that God and Christ planned and initiated the creation. In other words, just because there was a Big Bang, doesn't mean that a creator could not have set it in motion.
3. I believe in evolution. I look at the word "evolution" as really being all about adapting to environments. All organisms need to adapt to their environments, or will lose their opportunity for growth.
4. I believe that the world came to be created in an evolving process that occurred "line upon line, precept upon precept". I believe that God and The Son looked upon this as 6 creative periods, and it doesn't really matter how long those periods lasted. What really matters is that the creation occurred.
5. I believe that the creation of man was an evolutionary process. My feeling is that when God said that he would make man in his image, man needed to evolve in both appearance and mental capacity to the point where he was in God's image.
6. I believe that Adam was the first man that God covenanted with. There may have been other people on earth prior to this, but Adam was the first to be self-aware enough to know who he was, that he was a Son of God, and had progressed to the point where he could choose to make and keep covenants.
7. I believe the Bible, as far as it's translated correctly, and I believe it needs to be read with perspective. What I mean by that is who's to say how long a DAY really is, or how long a YEAR really is? It all depends on how the person who was writing it looked at it, and what the perspective was of the person translating it. Was the world created in 6 DAYS? What is a DAY? Is it 24 hours as we know it? Probably not.  Did Adam and the patriarchs live to be several hundred YEARS old? What is a YEAR? Is it 365 days as we know it? Probably not. Does any of this bother me? Absolutely not. As Mrs. Anna says to the King, that "[The Bible] was their explanation for the miracle of creation, which is the same miracle, whether it took 6 days, or many centuries."

Finally, as stated in the 9th Article of Faith, I believe there is still more truth to be revealed, both scientific and otherwise. God will continue to inspire good people of faith and of no faith to make truth known to us. Sometimes this may cause us to question and wonder what really is true. The thing to do is read, ponder, pray and follow the prophets, so that we may know the truth and it can make us free.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in