Skip to main content

First Week

As of Friday evening, my first week at the new gig is in the books, and so far so good. I've been oriented, mentored and onboarded, and will continue to be so over the next several weeks and months. I've learned how to get to my desk, and to the bathroom, and how to make sure I keep up with my recommended daily allowance of diet pepsi. I've met many people and even remembered a few of their names. I've reacquainted myself with Microsoft Outlook, I've been given access to databases I can't pronounce let alone query, and have taken a crash course in healthcare and Agile software processes. The first few nights I went home with headaches and an overloaded frontal lobe, but I only had one mini-meltdown (which thankfully occurred as I was driving home from work). Whew!

Tomorrow I'll be back at it, with likely more of the same. Positives so far:

1. Residence in my very own cubicle. I haven't had one of those in maybe 8 years or so, and I'm loving it. It has a laptop, and cabinets, and all sorts of stuff.

2. An onboarding process. My mentor, my supervisor and the rest of the team have all been involved in showing me the ropes, and I haven't had to sink or swim. And everyone has been very encouraging.

3. Unexpectedly running into old friends. The guy who sits across from me used to work at IHG. And one of the girls a couple rows over used to be in my old Singles Ward with me.

4. A shorter commute. It only takes me about 15 minutes to get to work, even in traffic.

5. Complimentary fresh fruit delivered every Wednesday morning. 

I'm sure there will be many more positives over the course of my time there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals

One of my goals this year is to go on a backpacking trip. It's something I've always wanted to do, but been too intimidated to try. Well, a few weeks ago, one of the girls in the Ward invited me on a backpacking trip to the Uinta's this summer. This time I immediately said yes. All was well until a few days later when reality set in and the thought of carrying 30-35 pounds of pack on my back while hiking in rough terrain just about made me cave. I did not have all the gear I would need, nor was I in good enough shape. The gear is something easily worked out. Most of it I can either purchase myself, or borrow from highly motivated friends. The physical conditioning was another matter altogether, so I decided it was time to get in better shape. I've been pretty good at exercising regularly, and I'm in ok shape for someone approaching a milestone birthday (if I say so myself). But I knew I needed to put in some extra miles, as well as add strength to my legs ...

Company 5K

Friday evening was the company 5K, and most of my team and their families made the effort to participate. The weather was perfect, and the route took us through the neighborhoods around the main building. We ended up finishing in about 45 minutes. Here we all are at the Finish line (l to r: Dave, his daughter and son, Robin, me, Tiffany, her boyfriend Scott, Sudhir, Bindu, and their daughter Naomi) After the 5K, I decided I needed a post-race recovery meal, and got myself down to the local DQ for a pumpkin pie blizzard.

Weird Al and Iowa

So a couple of weeks ago while watching TV, I happened to click on an A&E Biography of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Boy - did that bring back some fun High School memories. There were interviews with Dr. Demento (Weird Al started out on his radio show"), and snippets from some true comedy classics - for instance "Eat It", "Like a Surgeon", and others. I remember my best friend Jill really being into his "Polkas on '45" album. I went to High School in Iowa (Go Hawks!), and one thing about the midwest is that someone like "Weird Al" really fits in there. It's the land of brats and beer, and polka (I mean, the Iowa marching band's favorite song is the polka classic "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer"), and people there have a sense of humor - they don't take themselves too seriously. They work hard, have a good time, and are all about community. They take care of each other. When I get to heaven, there...