Skip to main content

Happy Birthday SLCRO!

Today is a momentous occasion It is the 20th Anniversary of the Holiday Inn Reservation Offices in Salt Lake City. We even had a big party in the break room in honor of the occasion, with a video, and recognition of some of the folks who have been here since the beginning. The SVP and VP of our group even flew in from Atlanta to make the presentations.

I started here almost 13 years ago now. I moved to Salt Lake thinking I was going to be a Librarian, and I just needed a summer job until I began my Master's degree program. Well, let's just say that the Master's never happened, and I ended up staying much longer than I originally expected.

Holiday Inn (now IHG) has given me a lot of opportunities over the years, and sometimes a lot of grief. But it's paid the bills, taught me job skills, helped me make friends and professional connections with people all over the world, given me a career, and taken me places I never thought I would go. I've survived company name changes, reorganizations, multiple bosses, challenging economic situations, and am still here to talk about it.

So here's a shoutout to IHG and SLCRO. Thanks for 13 very interesting years. Here's hoping for many more.

Top 10 favorite IHG memories:

10. The year they put photos of me all over the entire center, to wish me a Happy Birthday.
9. Singing in the company Christmas Choir.
8. Getting to see the Holiday Inn NASCAR car in person.
7. The "Magic" show at the Hale Center Theater.
6. The time I got to meet Beverly Garland and she signed my mousepad.
5. Getting promoted to my current job.
4. Spending our Christmas party volunteering at the Food Bank.
3. Surviving my first reorganization.
2. My first trip to the corporate offices in Atlanta.
1. Winning the trip to Jamaica.

Comments

Jamie said…
Aw, I do miss SLCRO. It drives John crazy that I still talk about IHG like I still work there even though it's been over TWO YEARS since I quit!

Popular posts from this blog

Tidying Up

If you've been watching Netflix much lately, you've probably seen the new series "Tidying Up", with Marie Kondo. She's an expert in cleaning, tidying, and storing stuff, and her method is quite inspiring. I enjoyed the show so much that I ordered her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and spent several days trying to get my house more in order. Not that I'm a hoarder - I have a basically tidy home. But the Kon-mari method teaches you to look at your belongings and ask yourself if each particular belonging brings you joy. If it doesn't, it's time for it to move on. I went through all my clothes first, followed by my books and DVD's, followed by the office, followed by the kitchen and laundry room. Whatever didn't bring me joy or a happy memory went into the pile. And when all was said and done, I ended up taking an entire car full of stuff to the local Deseret Industries, to hopefully be re-purposed for someone else to find

New 'Do

For probably the last 10 years or so, I've had pretty much the same hairstyle. For the most part, it's been long, all one length, and I would eventually put it up in a ponytail almost every day, because I couldn't stand having it in my face. It drove me crazy, but I didn't know what to do with it, and at the same time, I liked that I could basically get up and go every day without a lot of effort. For the past several months now, I've been threatening to do something different and drastic, and finally, yesterday, I did. At the recommendation of Angel, I made an appointment with her stylist. It took several weeks to get in, but finally, the day arrived. Angel went with me, for moral support, and to be the photographer. I went in with some basic ideas, but after some consultation and looking at photos with Francine, this is what I ended up with. First, the "before" shot: In process: And finally, the finished product: I can't remember the last time

Triple D Divas Do Northern Utah

Last Saturday, the Triple D Divas met for a day trip get-away to Northern Utah - specifically Logan and Brigham City (with a little touch of Idee-ho thrown in for good measure). We started our journey with lunch at the Bluebird Cafe. Everyone knows about the Bluebird - it's about the oldest place on main street, and is tradition for anyone whose ever done a Logan Temple Trip. We went in to see the Logan Tabernacle, and I snapped this cool picture of the oragn pipes. (Of course, now that we're all in our 40's and have shrinking bladders, the Tabernacle also made for a clean and convenient potty stop.) ...Also a view of the Logan Temple spires from outside the Tabernacle...    From there, it was off to Glossner's Cheese Factory for some squeaky cheese. After that, we went to the Pepperidge Farms Outlet, and the girls all found some cookies and stuff.  But nothing really excited me there.  However, the outlet is located in